Inside of Fujitsu MHM2100AT

ugur23

Inside of Fujitsu MHM2100AT

Postby ugur23 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:53 pm

i got some drives from local second hand store (like ebay)
one of them was got some bad sectors 50-60Mb total . ( well actually it is normal for 10.000 Power on hours :o )
i connect ide adapter wrong. :roll: . i burnt MCU :D . so i decided to open it and look inside.
it is very old and interesting drive. it hasnt got any ramp system or airlock or load - unload system. and heads can move easily without spinning.
so i take a video .
video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFPALjAz9LA
i hope you enjoy :mrgreen:

LarrySabo

Re: Inside of Fujitsu MHM2100AT

Postby LarrySabo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:43 pm

I'm not sure what's to be learned from the video, other than that drive has a parking area on the platters.

By the way, rotating the platters in the direction you did risks causing damaged to the heads and possibly scratching the platters because they would not have had an air bearing generated when rotated in that direction. The heads would act more like a plough. Of course, opening the drive in a normal household environment risks contaminating the platters, but I understand that it was just an exhibition using a useless old drive from which you never expected to ever recover data.

ugur23

Re: Inside of Fujitsu MHM2100AT

Postby ugur23 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:08 pm

dont need to recover any data from disk. and platter was crashed before i take video (50-60 Mb random crashes , burned pcb etc). there is no data in this disk
just uploaded video for is somebody wants to see what looks like old disk drives :)

Return to “General”