ST3000DM001 1CH166-302 "drops out"

Repairing Seagate HDDs.
peck
NewUser
NewUser

ST3000DM001 1CH166-302 "drops out"

Postby peck » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi.

I recently had a disk failure on a 7200.14 ST3000DM001 (F3, 1CH166-302 with CC26) and it behaves a bit odd after that. It gets detected by BIOS etc but shortly after starting up it "drops out", not visible using lsscsi etc. I had a separate power supply and when powercycling it, it came back online just to shortly thereafter drop out again. Reading from the disks is unthinkable except that I've managed to extract around 300MB when I dry cooled the disk down to -20C.

The serial output looks like this:

Code: Select all

Boot 0x40M
 Spin Up
 Trans.

Spin Up
SpinOK
(P) SATA Reset

(S) SATA Reset

LED:000000BD FAddr:0000840E
LED:000000BD FAddr:0000840E

That last line keeps repeating every now and then.

With this limited information, does anyone have a few tips or tricks on how to possibly extract the data stored in this drive? I just need the data out and then the drive will be used whenever my car gets stuck in snow or something. Never ever a Seagate disk again. Entering the terminal shell is no problem, but I have no idea what to do here since the public knowledge about this part of these disks is close to none. Hoping for some guru in here to be able to assist.

With my extremely limited (read; non-existent) soldering skills I haven't dared trying it, but I do have another ST3000DM001 which might be a valid donor for the pcb. Moving the ROM seems risky though. PN, model, fw etc are identical. The only difference is the site. "WU" on the broken drive and "TK" on the working one. I will of course attempt a PCB swap in case this seems to be the issue.

Thanks for your patience with a beginner in this area of expertise. I just wish it wouldn't have happened at the same time as the offsite backup got burned to the ground, and not to me.

peck
NewUser
NewUser

Re: ST3000DM001 1CH166-302 "drops out"

Postby peck » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:23 am

Just to clarify, it's when the LED-messages start that the disk disappears from the o/s. Power cycle and it appears for a short while. I'm using ddrescue when trying to recover and I don't seem to be able to extract any data under the short time I have between disk start and LED-message (causing a BUSY-mode according to MHDD).

Return to “Seagate”