seagate classic recovery

Repairing Seagate HDDs.
chipsang

seagate classic recovery

Postby chipsang » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 am

Dear friends
I have a 7200.10 ST3160215AS , disk clicks and stops at F> , I have tried to create loader in udma ,but it is not created. Is there anything that I can try? I have very small knowledge of terminal commands. any tipes or suggestions will be appreciated.

Spildit

Re: seagate classic recovery

Postby Spildit » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Hello there !

First of all can you please post the terminal log that the drive outputs when powered up ? Most likely the problem is caused by bad heads, as it's very typical on 7200.10 when the drive is clicking.

Also you can't create a loader when the drive is already at F>. Think of this as "backing up data"; you can't backup the data when the drive is already damaged, you can just backup when the drive is good to use later when the drive is damaged. You can only create the loader when the drive is functional, because it needs for app code to be loaded on RAM, etc ...

What you can do is to use the library to get a compatible loader and try to load that. If you have a working drive similar to the one you are trying to repair you can use the good drive to create the loader and use the loader to start the damaged drive.

Think of UDMA loader as a packed file containing the app code, cert code, cert tables, vendor track, etc ..... Then when you are in "trouble" and the drive can't load that code from the platters you load it from that file.

If you have something like STCom it's easy to understand, as the "resources" are saved as "independent" files, so you can clearly see the file that is the dump of the app code, the one that is the cert code, etc ... instead of having just one file with everything packed inside (think of it as a big rar/zip file on PC3K UDMA format containing the drive resources).

When a drive drops to F (playing with people on the data recovery field we say the drive in F is Fuc***) it means that the app code was not loaded from the platter to the RAM on pcb. If you have the app code on a file (loader) you load that to try to get to T and work from there.

But first things first, post a log of the drive so we can confirm if heads/pre-amp are gone or not.

Also if you prefer you can post on the Acelab forum and i will reply there (you need legal PC3K UDMA to create an account there).

Regards.
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)

chipsang

Postby chipsang » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:38 am

Hi Spildit
Thank You so much for quick and Detailed explanation. Attached is terminal output of disk. I tried to search you on ace forum ,but was not aware about your user name.
Thanks again.
Best Regards
Attachments
7200.10.JPG

Spildit

Postby Spildit » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi there.

Comparing with my experiments with NHAWK and with my screen captures of the same drive family when the PCB is connected to TTL only, I would say that your drive is at least getting the Pre-Amp ID otherwise it would display a error.

But I also think that the drive starts to spin and no firmware at all are loaded from the platters, not even the adaptive and SA defect list.

So I'm very positive that you have BAD HEADS on the drive, in this case the head that it's used to read firmware.
From F> TRY :

R1
R2

and see if it "clicks" while trying to load adaptives from disk to RAM. If so heads can't find servo and hit the limiter. You will need some "clean room" work (Head Stack Replacement) to get data back.

As for my username on Ace, check PM.

Regards.

chipsang

Postby chipsang » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:16 am

Hi Spildt
Thanks again. I tried R1 & R2 commands, but there is no response from disk. Disk does not clicks and continues to spin as well .( I have heard that spinning down in Seagate = Head crash).
However spinning is in slightly higher speed than normal. I am very much satisfied with your valuable help .
Thank you & Wish You a nice weekend.
Best Regards

Spildit

Postby Spildit » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Uhmmm ...

I guess that you can try to get a loader for your drive from Ace, or ask around for a loader to your drive, with same FV version.

Then you start from F> and you try to load from it, using PC3K-UDMA. You can even try to disable heads on RAM when loading from the loader with PC3K UDMA and see if you can make the drive work with one head disabled ...

The first step will be create a loader from a working drive with the same model, family and FW version or try to get one from someone else.

Thanks and have a nice weekend too.

Spildit

Postby Spildit » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:09 pm

chipsang wrote:Hi Spildt
Thanks again. I tried R1 & R2 commands, but there is no response from disk. Disk does not clicks and continues to spin as well .( I have heard that spinning down in Seagate = Head crash).
However spinning is in slightly higher speed than normal. I am very much satisfied with your valuable help .
Thank you & Wish You a nice weekend.
Best Regards

Please try :

R1
R2
R4
j

On F> and tell us if the drive clicks, and post terminal log.

chipsang

Postby chipsang » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi Team Sorry for the delay in reply.
I tried R1 , R2 & R4 ,drive does not click & continue spinning, however there is no response from screen. Meantime customer has taken away disk from me. :(
ANyway Thanks a ton for your help. I will coming back with more queries.

servet

Postby servet » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Please try :

R1
R2
R4
j

On F> and tell us if the drive clicks, and post terminal log.

Hi , if try on up and drive is have click , What is your opinion here ?
Veri Kurtarma Hizmet Sağlayıcı
Turkey-İstanbul
http://www.harddiskklinik.com

Return to “Seagate”