Bandura discontinued :

LarrySabo

Bandura discontinued :

Postby LarrySabo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:36 am

Atola have decided to discontinue producing the Bandura, according to their June 17, 2013 blog post. That's why they dropped the price to $1,890 USD.

digitalferret

Re: Bandura discontinued

Postby digitalferret » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Doesn't appear their agent knows of the reduction: just mailed and got this back

Price: US $2,490 each (Plus shipping)

maybe genuine mistake, see if they reply to query.

LarrySabo

Postby LarrySabo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 am

I would grab one while you can. It's a terrific unit. They have reportedly produced their final batch but units are still in the distribution channel. I was very fortunate to get one at $1,890.

digitalferret

Postby digitalferret » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 pm

hey Larry
yeh was considering it then saw you say you may sell to get a Dolphin upgrade.
So i wondered about it being "that fantastic".

It's difficult to decide. I use Deepspar and have been satisfied with it.
The Bandura is a cheaper "extra capacity" imager should the deepspars get bogged down with a nasty drive.
It is effectively a half price automatic imager.
Eventually ppl end up with deepspar and PC3000 whichever route they go.
Someone thus asked, why bother with the other options at all.
Not even the PC3000 can deal with the newish USB drives with the built on controller.
Deepspar can at a hefty $2000+ tho.

Have you set it going on a bad drive yet ?

digitalferret

Postby digitalferret » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:25 pm

just to add, the Ji2 dealer came back with the 1890 price saying its a $600 reduction.

Said it can't cope with SCSI tho, as i asked, yet the european dealer says they sell adapters so you can use SCSI.

Not the greatest advert on dealers knowing their products :/

HaQue

Postby HaQue » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 am

Not even the PC3000 can deal with the newish USB drives with the built on controller.

I think for these you can add a sata connection to the mainboard bypassing the USB Bridge, then hook it to the PC3000

LarrySabo

Postby LarrySabo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:19 am

digitalferret wrote:hey Larry
yeh was considering it then saw you say you may sell to get a Dolphin upgrade.
So i wondered about it being "that fantastic".

The fact that I was considering selling the Bandura to fund the DFL-DE upgrade does not diminish my love of the Bandura. It's very fast, does diagnostics (although I don't know how rigorous they are compared to diagnostics on the Insight), has great multi/reverse-scanning capabilities, does partition/data only imaging, is self-contained, and has loads of other compelling features. I still think it's an outstanding duplicator for small computer repair shops like mine. It doesn't image to files, find and extract data from lost partitions, or do popular firmware fixes as the DFL-DE does. I really think they are complimentary products.
It's difficult to decide. I use Deepspar and have been satisfied with it.
The Bandura is a cheaper "extra capacity" imager should the deepspars get bogged down with a nasty drive.
It is effectively a half price automatic imager.

Exactly! At $1,890 it's hard to beat!
Eventually ppl end up with deepspar and PC3000 whichever route they go.
Someone thus asked, why bother with the other options at all.
Deepspar can at a hefty $2000+ tho.

The PC3K is another fish altogether, and the DDI4 is more like $3,500USD (+13% tax since both DeepSpar and I are in Ontario). I don't like the licensing model, nor its price. Yeah, it's the industry standard for DR pros, but I'm far from a DR pro. I'm just a small computer repair business owner who gets the occasional data recovery job and is looking to get more of them without breaking the bank. There is no way I would do enough DR business to justify a PC3K in my lifetime. Bear in mind, I'm 72 years old, so my break-even points have a shorter time horizon than yours, perhaps. :)

Have you set it going on a bad drive yet ?

Yes, I've tied both the Bandura and the DFL-DE on a number (6-8) bad drives and both do a great job at recovering data. The two cost me a total of ~$4,400CAD and I thought that perhaps I could live with the DDP alone, since it is faster and would reduce my total outlay to just $3,000+whatever I lose on the Bandura. I would be sacrificing the diagnostic and stand-alone capabilities, but that's about all. If I keep both the Bandura and the DFL-DE, that will be fine, too, as it would mean I can be imaging/duplicating three drives simultaneously. (The DE can do two at once, though I'm unsure of the impact on speed.)

I'm soliciting more defective drives to check out, too, e.g. undetected and clicking drives, as learning opportunities. I'm a rank beginner at this, so am hardly qualified to provide a rigorous evaluation of the DFL-DE, but so far, I really like what I see.

HaQue

Postby HaQue » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:58 am

Bear in mind, I'm 72 years old...

Great, thanks Larry.. There goes MY ability to say "I am too old to be learning this stuff"!

Thanks for the insight to the products, Its a help to those of us trying to get a handle on how to start out.

digitalferret

Postby digitalferret » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Likewise a big thanks for the feedback Larry. 72! wtg man.

Heres me discounting myself from pc3k at 51.
Must agree on license model. it stinks.

The Deepspar starts at $3500.
To do the recovery by file without having to unplug one drive and bring it to a windows machine, and back needs the network addon.
To check current needs the current addon.
To do the usb needs the usb addon
To do the Forensic image to a file thing needs the Forensic addon etc etc etc
To use the Operations manager to give customers a file list cost around $800yr basic.

Starting to approach $5-6k price at this point.
the shipping is included and probably accounts for the discount you can get when buying more than one item.
Then when it gets to my gate in the UK, the postal service slap on +20% import duty.

I may have to take a page out of your book, limit myself to "lid stays on" operations.
That or branch out like Mr Haque here into Flash media. no heads to remove at all :)
Some tiny adapters and a Russian guy that takes a yearly fee for software dev.

Altho i don't have the atola / dolphin gear, pls don't hesitate to ask if you need info.
Much friendlier here than HDDguru :)
And i have a mind like a blocked seive, keeps all the sh*t and more =)

HaQue, yes, i hear thats possible with the pc3k altho ist a complete arse to swap and change and decrypt. just that Dspar does it all at once. (i think)

Kern

LarrySabo

Postby LarrySabo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:43 pm

digitalferret wrote:Likewise a big thanks for the feedback Larry. 72! wtg man.

Thanks for the kind comments from you and HaQue. :)
Altho i don't have the atola / dolphin gear, pls don't hesitate to ask if you need info.
Much friendlier here than HDDguru :)
And i have a mind like a blocked seive, keeps all the sh*t and more =)
LOL! Thanks for that offer; I will be grateful for any help I can get, from one and all. My biggest challenge, is finding information on the technology, specifically firmware modules, their functions, how to diagnose and repair them; where to get the tools to do so without paying a fortune, etc. The DFL users forum is very helpful, in that all of their forums are open to users of any of their products. So DE users can browse the WDII forum, SEII forum, and DDP forum in addition to the DE forum. And DFL users are helpful in their contributions of case studies on how to fix specific problems. I just wish there was a more efficient way to learn all this stuff, in less time (without taking a $3,800 hands-on course). I've begun collecting some damaged drives and will use them as learning opportunities. How to diagnose the problem, use software to check status, use terminal commends/software to repair problems where feasible, etc. Then pick another drive make/model and repeat.

HaQue, yes, i hear thats possible with the pc3k altho ist a complete arse to swap and change and decrypt. just that Dspar does it all at once. (i think)
I hope I'm not telling tales out of school, but I understand DFL are working on a USB adapter to enable recoveries directly using the DE/DDP. If they do, I'll be sure to order one. I am looking forward to doing the SATA-connection-to-USB-PCB mod myself, as I've had three customers who had duff USB drives that I couldn't help. Of course, I didn't know of the mods that would have let me image/clone the drives and reconnect the clone to the original or an equivalent PCB for the decrypted recovery part.

I'm really eager to learn, and wish there were affordable training/learning materials, or an opportunity to be mentored. Another consideration, is that my customer base (99% residential) is unwilling to pay the kind of money that a investment in serious DR demands. Nevertheless, I want to do their recoveries for what they can afford/are willing to pay. I don't want the pressure/responsibility/liability of doing missions-critical recoveries for business customers, nor recoveries from RAID/SSD/flash devices given my ignorance of those.

digitalferret

Postby digitalferret » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 pm

Quick one before bed here guys.
Just done a thrashed laptop hard drive on the deepspar.
A complete image took about a week due to bad sectors. This was running it in full drive copy mode as i had connection probs with the network card.
The algorithm does 4 passes. 1st forward skipping huge chunks if it hits probs, then backwards which negates Read Ahead cache (v slow), then forwards with smaller skips if it hits bad sectors, and finally with its tightest parameter and time out and reset settings. Similar to the Bandura only the deepspar parameters are all tweakable.

In file recovery mode you hook the deepspar and its mobo up across the network to a Windows machine running the Deepspar Recovery Environment (DRE).
This allows you to read File Tables and get a directory structure first.
You then select which files you want to recover, either by file name, folder name, extension, wildcards or just clicking boxes in the WinExplorer type GUI. Set it going.

Now this is where the DRE has a distinct advantage over a machine just picking files out one at a time. Fragmentation. The Deepspar makes a comlete pass each cycle. Like the arm of a record player going from track one thro the the end track this reduces wear on the fragile drive.
A normal explorer operation would have the arm skipping back and forth recovering each file in its fragmented component parts.
Also, you arent recovering feespace as you do on a full scan.
Freespace is a time sink especially if the Deepspar has to negotiate bad sectors too.
Seen it take hours just clacking thro tens of gig of zeros, faults and all.

What took days to get to say the third pass, took hours.

And eventually, the punchline.
The bandura advantage maybe that in a single sweep and image, the heads aren't tracking back and forth. its just one long concentric circle like the record player, but you will copy over blank space andit will take an age if the drive is heavily corrupted.

The Dolphin may do files quicker, but I'm not sure if operating via the file table, the heads will be tracking all over to make good the fragmented file with the inherent risk of the heads collapsing.

The Deepspar can also make a heads map, so if you have one bad head, you can switch it out and image the other 3. It maybe that your data is in the good sections. So you don't necessarily have to dismantle and do a head swap.

Just my own opinion:
if its a few files like a drive with the OS and a my docs folder, customer wants just pictures, maybe the Dolphin is best.
If its a *full* 500G storage drive, maybe the Bandura is best.
Horses for courses mate.

btw If you have the choice of a USB unit versus native sata/pata take the native route.
Seen ppl with the USB Atola Insight wanting the ethernet version inside a few weeks.

Criminy! if that was a "quick one" i'd hate you to have to suffer the full chapter :)

hth some

Kern

Spildit

Re: Bandura discontinued :

Postby Spildit » Mon May 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks you all for sharing your reviews of the mentioned tools !
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)

Return to “Atola Bandura / Imager”