Tip: Redundant copies of data on same CD

Tips on how to preserve data over time.
fzabkar
Contributor
Contributor

Tip: Redundant copies of data on same CD

Postby fzabkar » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:05 pm

In order to maximise data longevity, I make it a policy to fill up the entire CD, if only with redundant copies.

For example, let's say you have 100MB of photo files. I'd copy these same files to 7 directories, ie COPY_1, COPY_2, ... COPY_7. That way you have 7 chances to recover your precious snaps in the event of physical damage, CD rot, unreliable burner, unreliable media, etc.

I always burn at slower speeds, and I verify the data after every burn.

Spildit

Re: Tip: Redundant copies of data on same CD

Postby Spildit » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:26 am

Great tip.
I also tend to write at lower speeds, but I also always keep a copy on other type of media (like a hard drive) of the stuff that I really can't loose.
I think that CDs and DVDs are not as good as a hard drive for long term storage, as they tend to get damaged over the years, more then a stored hard drive.
At least that is the sensation that I have.
At any rate that is a good idea, instead of wasting the rest of the space on the CD/DVD you will get more copies to get data from. I like that tip.
1Q9xrDTzTddUXeJAFRn37aqh1Yr6buDCdw - (Bitcoin Donations)

Spildit

Postby Spildit » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 am

Another "trick" that I normally use is the following :
When I'm backing up some movies, music, etc to DVDs I always fill the entire DVD with data and backup other stuff on the same DVD until the DVD it's full.
If I download some new series (NOT pirated) and I'm saving a copy on DVD, I will fill the rest of the space on the DVD with other data that I want to backup.
That way I have multiple copies of my important data backed up all the time on the space that otherwise would be empty on a CD/DVD.

Drforbin
Founder
Founder

Postby Drforbin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:04 am

Not pirated? that's no fun.

:twisted:

LarrySabo

Postby LarrySabo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:55 pm

DVDs are so slow to burn, I almost never use them for backups. Hard drives are so much faster and, I expect, much more reliable. The dye on optical media deteriorates with age, light and humidity, or so I've read, so you should copy any you consider really important to new media every few years if retention is a concern, and keep them sheltered from light and high humidity. They also have too limited capacity for my needs.

Spildit

Postby Spildit » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:34 am

LarrySabo wrote:DVDs are so slow to burn, I almost never use them for backups. Hard drives are so much faster and, I expect, much more reliable. The dye on optical media deteriorates with age, light and humidity, or so I've read, so you should copy any you consider really important to new media every few years if retention is a concern, and keep them sheltered from light and high humidity. They also have too limited capacity for my needs.

Well, you have made some good points but let's not forget that hard drives can suffer degradation too, and are not immune to problems.

All media types can develop problems, even the ones designed for long term storage.

The best policy, as far as I can see, is to make several backup copies of the files that are really needed in several types of media and stored on different places.

Return to “Data Preservation and Archiving”